When a flood hits, it can cause damage and disruption. But you can take steps to make sure you and your family are safe in Matthews, NC. In this blog, Jim Boyce Insurance will discuss some of the smart preparations you should take when making a flood preparedness kit.
After a flood, you may be alone without power or water for several days. It is critical to ensure you have a properly stocked and maintained flood preparedness kit. A flood preparedness kit should include the following:
- Enough drinkable water to last you for at least three days. Each member of your family should have a gallon of water per day.
- At least three days’ worth of non-perishable food. Non-perishable means it will not spoil quickly, such as canned or dried foods. If you stock canned food, keep a hand-operated can opener. Please do not rely on frozen foods, as they will not keep for long once the power is out.
- A stand-alone battery-powered radio, at minimum. A better set-up is to have one radio to monitor local stations and an NOAA weather radio. An NOAA weather radio has a battery that will last for several years. If you worry about the batteries going dead in your other radios, invest in a hand-crank or solar radio.
- A flashlight and extra batteries.
- A first aid kit and a dust mask.
- Garbage bags, twist ties, and moist towelettes for sanitation and personal hygiene.
- You’ll need wrenches, pliers, and other tools to turn off the utilities.
Find Flood Insurance
Just a single inch of floodwater can cause more than $25,000 in damage to your home. Flood insurance does not come standard with your homeowner’s policy. Contact Jim Boyce Insurance today to protect your Matthews, NC home.