What does my home insurance cover?

Your home in Charlotte, NC is probably your most important asset and your biggest investment. Your homeowner’s policy protects both you and your mortgage provider from losses that you would otherwise have to try to pay for out of pocket. At Jim Boyce Insurance, we understand how important it is to make sure that you have all the protection you will need if disaster strikes.

There are several kinds of events for which a regular homeowners policy will compensate owners. These include fire, smoke damage, lightning, explosions, tornadoes, and theft. Flooding is an example of an event not covered, but you can talk with your agent about purchasing a policy to protect against flooding if you are vulnerable to this risk.

As far as what will actually be covered, the list includes the house itself, the garage and any unattached structures like sheds on your property. However, there may be a limit to how much protection those outside structures have, and you may need additional protection for them. Even a boat or RV stored on your property will receive some protection.

Also protected will be the appliances and furniture in your home, and any decorations, rugs, and curtains. You can recover from your clothing, books and entertainment items, like a television and movies. Although your jewelry is protected, this is another area where you want to make sure you have enough coverage if you have rare or expensive items. Another area no one wants to think about is the coverage you will receive if someone is injured on your property.

The most important thing is to make sure you understand your policy and what it covers. If you want to make sure you have the best protection possible for your home in Charlotte, NC, call Jim Boyce Insurance to talk about your options today.